Sunday, February 6, 2011

My own personal Cake Boss

I pretty much have the best husband in the world.  I had no idea how talented and wonderful he was when I agreed to marry him.  Well, I had some idea, which is why I said yes.  But, he's always surprising me.  This birthday was no different.   He saw a picture on the internet of a cake and thought, "My wife would like that cake.  I'm going to make it." From this picture. 

This cake was made to feed 150 people.  So he scaled it down a bit. And I'm pretty sure that this was not the first cake that the baker had made.  But this was Joel's first cake.  So be impressed.  Be very impressed!  I sure was!  I'm not a true blogger as I don't have pics to document the entire cake making process...but here's a few.  He spend Friday night making 5 cakes.  Saturday was dedicated to icing, making fondant and decorating. 

He learned that when they suggest wearing food safe gloves, that it's not just a suggestion, it's a really, really  good idea.  This pic was taken after dying the fondant black, and after a wash with soap...and lemon juice...and a salt scrub.
His hands are slightly less pink today.

I never knew there were so many uses for duct tape until I married this guy.  You can even use it to secure a birthday cake to a marble slab platter!  He is looking less than enthused at my picture taking at this point in the process;)  He was much more happy at the end of the process when it was all decorated.
 Ta-da!  The finished product.  And there are even 30 stars adorning the pretty cake.  And yes, it is meant to be lopsided.  He was going for the topsy turvy cake.
 Cutting into that work of art seemed like a shame, but it was too delicious to wait.
 Aaah there's the happy baker.  My awesome cake boss.  I wonder what's in store next year?
 Wow.  Thanks babe!  I like it better than the picture:)

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!!! I can't believe he made that, I saw it on FB, and thought it was store-made! I'm impressed! Maybe he should quit school! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your cake! Thanks for the tips about using gloves when dying the fondant ;) And oh the many uses of duct tape. Love it!

    ReplyDelete